Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Cultivating My PLN

It is now about halfway through the semester. I have been learning about various online tools that can be used to develop my Public Learning Network, PLN, in addition to the advantages of creating a web-based learning network. I will admit, it was a bit overwhelming to see how many websites, apps, blogs, and other resources are out there. I thought that I was pretty internet savvy and that my knowledge of social network was up to date. I was very wrong. I found myself avoiding these tools because I was so intimidated by the task of creating my own PLN. It seemed impossible to learn how to use all of these tools and then to actually get into the habit of using them. Before now, blogging and tweeting and pinning seemed like a chore rather than a beneficial use of my time. However, I began to see the creation of a PLN in a different way. I realized that I don't need to use or even understand all of these tools. So, I spent some time weeding through the abundance of tools and resources, finding the path to what works for me. I am developing a habit of using the internet as a valuable tool for my own knowledge and professional growth. It's actually kind of exciting to share information and knowledge with the broader world of educators. The celebrities of the education world are no longer distant and unreachable, I can see their ideas instantly on Twitter, watch interviews that happen through Google Hangout, read their blogs, and even communicate back to them.
Like any habit, developing my online presence hasn't happened instantly. Keeping up with the rapid flow of information and contributing to that flow is something that I am learning to incorporate into my routine. Some areas of my PLN came more quickly than others. Some things, I realized, I was even already doing! I think that reading and archiving have been two of my strengths, since these are the quieter, more behind the scenes aspects of a PLN. Sharing my own ideas through writing, tweeting, and commenting has proved to be a bigger challenge. I do enjoy writing in my blog as it provides a good opportunity reflect, and I think the fear of putting myself out there is waning. In order to better develop my PLN, particularly in my weaker areas, I plan to create a PLN routine. Each night, I will dedicate at least 20 minutes to my PLN. Some nights this may be longer, like when I blog and read, but other nights 20 minutes will be enough to check out Twitter, share a tweet or two, or comment on my peers' blogs. Additionally, I will use those spare minutes that typically go to checking Facebook toward a more productive use of internet time by putting it toward my PLN. I will continue to read and archive regularly, as I truly value this practice as part of my own learning and planning for the classroom. While I work to make these tasks a habit, I will keep a weekly checklist. I will document my activity to ensure that I am meeting my goals.
Though I haven't been great at developing my PLN, I have begun to use many of the web-based tools we have learned in my classroom. It's fun and exciting to share these tools with my students and cooperating teacher. I look forward to continuing the process of developing my PLN and taking advantage of the abundant and available learning opportunities.


3 comments:

  1. Callie- I really love your idea of thinking about this as developing a habit- I once read somewhere that it takes at least 30 days to change or develop a habit through conscious effort. I think your plan of devoting 20 mins per day is a great idea and I think I will try that also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Callie, setting small goals always helps me when approaching a new challenge. I echo Kitri, i think your plan of 20 min a day is a doable yet meaningful goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Callie,
    I appreciate your reflection and hope to see the fruits of your new habit at the end of the semester. I also really appreciate the fact that you approach the PLN with energy and enthusiasm. Thanks!
    jeff

    ReplyDelete